When you've got an abundance of ripe autumn pears and a hankering for something sweet, spiced, and cozy, pear sauce hits the spot. Ok, maybe pear sauce isn't the first thing that comes to mind recipe-wise... but don't knock it till you try it :)
It's super simple, smooth and delicious and makes a nice light sweet treat or even a beautiful sauce to accompany something savory at a fall table. Makes a pretty autumn-themed homemade gift too.
Oh, and it'll make your house smell amazing ? one of my favorite things about autumn baking.
When I made this initially, I wasn't thinking of this recipe for the blog -- more like a random little something for myself. You know, the kind of thing you just enjoy with a spoon straight out of a jar... but it ended up delish and I thought hey, maybe there's someone out there who's weird enough like me and will want to go and make themselves a lemon-ginger-chia-pineapple-cinnamon pear sauce... Anyone?
I went with some of my favorite spiced flavors here, which you can also find in:
- this lemon ginger turmeric tea
- this raw lemon ginger chia cheesecake
- these ginger turmeric lemon cream bars
- these lemon ginger cutout cookies
- or this mango pineapple ginger turmeric ice cream
Can you spot some trends? ;)
When I was making this pear sauce, I was absolutely in the mood for sweet and aromatic, which is why I went the cooked route and also used a larger amount of maple syrup to caramelize the pears a little and to offset the tartness of the lemon and pineapple flavors. The chia seeds serve as a thickener for the sauce, and to add a hint more substance... I bet this would be lovely with a hint of fresh grated ginger as well and maybe even a pinch of turmeric, but I'll leave you to experiment with alternatives here :)Print
Ginger Chia Pear Sauce
An autumnal homemade spiced pear sauce recipe, spruced up with chia seeds, ginger and pineapple flavors. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, oils, coconut and nut-free.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: approx 2 cups
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 3 large ripe pears, peeled, cored, and rough chopped
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Place all ingredients, except chia seeds and pineapple juice, into a small sauce pan. Bring to a light boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10-15 mins or until the pears begin to fall apart or mash easily, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and cool for 15-20 mins.
- Blend pineapple juice and chia seeds in a high power blender. Add the cooled pear mixture to the blender and blend to combine.
- Let the mixture sit for 20-30 mins to thicken slightly, or chill overnight if you prefer your sauce cold. Enjoy! Store leftovers refrigerated.