Gorgeous cherries are in season, and I've been seeing them everywhere I go these days. So yep, I basically haven't had a cherry-free day in weeks! After all, you don't usually spot organic cherries where I live, so when they're in season, I nab them all haha.
This pie came from a particularly tasty batch and I think this is one of my favorite pie recipes ever to date. So good with the gooey red cherry filling, and a crust that's cookie-like and just to die for -- strangely very "buttery" tasting (a feat for a non-dairy pie, and nope, no butter substitutes were used!).
There's a touch of almond extract in the crust, which adds a deliciously rich flavor to the mix. For a gluten-free and vegan cherry pie recipe, I think this is as good (and wholesome!) as it gets.
By the way, if for any reason you're feeling intimidated by the lattice top of the pie, don't be. It's very simple to make, and is meant to be rustic in design -- flaws are totally ok :). And besides, everyone will be distracted by the gooey red jam peeking out of it anyways!
See the video below for a similar pie I have on the blog (Strawberry Rhubarb Pie) for the lattice-making technique and you'll get the idea -- easy peasy!
The only difference is that I used a pastry cutter (sort of like a mini pizza cutter with a fluted edge blade) to get the fluted edges here. There's a link to the specific kind I used in the recipe notes, if you're interested. Otherwise a regular knife or pizza cutter (as seen in the video above) will do just fine.
Add a touch of vegan vanilla ice cream and you're in for a complete treat... with every gloriously "messy" bite... :)
Cherry Pie (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
This easy homemade cherry pie is a lovely way to take advantage of fresh seasonal cherries. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6" pie
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cup dark maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract*
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Oil a 6" pie plate (or baking dish of a similar size) and set aside.
- Process all pie crust ingredients in a food processor until combined into a dough. Gather the dough and form into a ball, kneading it lightly. Divide this dough in half, and roll each half into a ball. Take one of the balls and flatten it into a disk with your hands. Place into the prepared pie plate and press and shape it down into a pie shell with your hands, covering the base and sides of the dish with the dough. Set aside.
- Prepare the pie filling by mixing all ingredients together with a fork in a small bowl. Transfer this mixture into the prepared pie crust, and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Place the remaining half of the crust dough in between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out roughly into an ⅛" thickness. Cut this dough into ½" strips lengthwise**. Place several of these strips vertically on the pie. Then place several horizontally, interlacing them with the vertical strips. If you need to create more strips, gather up the remaining dough and roll it out again to create more strips. Once finished creating the lattice, fill in any gaps along the edges of the pie with some of the remaining dough. Then seal the edge all around with a fork.***
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 45 minutes (until the edges are nice and golden and the filling bubbles and sets. Cool off on a wire rack, and enjoy!****
*Use an extra teaspoon vanilla extract as an alternative if you prefer.
**I used this kind of pastry cutter to get the fluted edges. But a pizza cutter or a regular knife will do for straight cuts if you prefer.
***Note: you'll likely have a tiny bit of dough remaining at this stage. I usually roll it out into 2-3 small cookies (roll into a ball, then flatten with a fork) and bake them for 7-9 mins along with the pie.
****Note: a hot pie will always be a little runny when sliced. The pie filling will firm up as it cools off completely.
Keywords: Cherry Pie (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)