Here's a simple vegan paleo balsamic raspberry rhubarb jam recipe that my friend has been bugging me to share on the blog. It's our favorite homemade jam recipe, and I just love making it because it's so simple, wholesome, and also because wild raspberries and rhubarb grow in abundance on our farm and this jam is a lovely way to enjoy those two ingredients together!
So if you're looking for something to do with all your rhubarb, this recipe is a great way to use it up! I love this recipe too because the balsamic vinegar gives it an extra dimension and adds a lovely flavor, and the agar agar flakes make this jam have an amazing texture and consistency. Enjoy it!
Balsamic Raspberry Rhubarb Jam
A simple, wholesome raspberry jam recipe to make when it's rhubarb season! Gluten-free and vegan recipe... super refreshing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 small jar
- Category: Jam
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (I used frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries (I used wild)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (or another liquid sweetener of your choice)
- juice of 1 lemon (or roughly 3-4 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp agar agar flakes
- Place all ingredients except balsamic vinegar and agar agar in a sauce pan (I used an enamel-coated small cast iron pot) and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the 15 minutes are up, add in the balsamic vinegar, stir, and allow the jam to continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the agar agar flakes until they are dissolved. Discard the cinnamon stick. Remove the jam from heat and transfer into a glass jar. Allow the jam to cool down to room temperature, then store in the fridge and use within a week or freeze for later use.
P.S. This jam goes incredibly well in this Gluten-Free Vegan Raspberry Almond Squares recipe!
P.P.S. You may also want to check out this Easy Vegan Paleo Blueberry Jam, Refined Sugar-Free.