What would you do if you had a pile of extremley ripe avocados that had to be used This Very Instant? You could whip up some guacamole, but my mind goes straight to sweeter things involving avocado. So when I had my own ripe batch to use up the other day, and remembering just how great the avocado / lime flavor combo in this lemon lime cake was, I decided to go for it again but with a berry twist. It was so simple to make and so delicious that I actually made this cake twice in the span of a couple of days.. (ahem, it's a small cake, ok... ?).
By the way, lime works brilliantly with an avocado-based filling, since the natural color of the cake hints at the presence of lime without any need for artificial colors. So lime was a no-brainer in this case when considering flavor pairings.
For the berries, blueberries and lime always go naturally well together... BUT when I made this cake with raspberries, it was magical. Way better than the blueberry / lime combo. Something about the raspberries and this creamy cheesecakey filling just... worked. Of course, I made that raspberry version first and it was promptly devoured before I took any photos, which encouraged me to make another version with blueberries (since that's all the berries I had left on hand... and yes, any excuse for more cake... ?). It's nice with the blueberries and they look pretty all frosted over, but if you've got the option I say give it a try with raspberries instead. Mixed berries would be lovely, too.
For the crust, feel free to use any nuts or seeds of your choice. I used pumpkin seeds to keep the cake nut-free (since the avocado filling allows this cake to be naturally nut-free, unlike many other raw cakes). Almonds, cashews, pecans or sunflower seeds would be great here if you're not picky / restricted.
As a bit of a tangent, I was quite surprised to find out that apparently not all blueberries have the "galactic" effect when frozen and sliced open. ? Who knew!... Anyways, they're quite delicious frozen -- galaxies or not -- so my disappointment wore off rather quickly there ?
Raw Berry Lime Cheesecake
Delicious fruity berry and citrus raw vegan cheesecake with an avocado base. Gorgeous yellow-green filling. Gluten-free and refined sugar free.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4" cake
- Category: Cake
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Dessert
- ¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds (or another nut or seed of your choice)
- ½ tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- ½ tbsp agave
- 4 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 avocado, de-seeded and peeled
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional for a firmer texture)
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- optional: edible dried blue cornflowers
- Process all base ingredients into a fine sticky crumble in a food processor. Transfer into a 4" springform pan and press down into a flat even crust. Freeze while working on the next step.
- Blend all filling ingredients into a smooth consistency in a power blender. Transfer the mixture into the prepared crust and smooth out the top. Tap the cake pans gently on the counter to flatten the filling. Top with fresh berries and any other toppings. Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight to set. Enjoy!