Here's a recipe for an easy mini vegan apple pie, with an oil-free cashew-butter cookie-like crust and a lightly spiced fruity apple filling. Just perfect for when you want a bit of pie without a lot of leftovers...
Apple pie is my husband's favorite pie. Well, really anything "apple" is nearly always a hit -- like these apple cinnamon oatmeal cookies, or this apple crumble, or these applesauce muffins, etc.
And so this pie happens from time to time as well. And usually disappears rather quickly -- and not only because of its small size :)
I always make sure to serve it with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream (a must for pies, if you ask me), and it makes the perfect little wholesome dessert (or breakfast, for those of us who love dessert for breakfast, that is... :) ).Print
Mini Apple Pie
Easy mini vegan apple pie, with an oil-free cashew-butter cookie-like crust and a lightly spiced fruity apple filling.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6" pie
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Vegan
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Oil a 6" pie plate (or baking dish of a similar size) and set aside.
- Process all pie crust ingredients in a food processor until combined into a dough. Gather the dough and form into a ball, kneading it lightly. Divide this dough in half, and roll each half into a ball. Take one of the balls and flatten it into a disk with your hands. Place into the prepared pie plate and press and shape it down into a pie shell with your hands, covering the base and sides of the dish with the dough. Set aside.
- Prepare the pie filling by mixing all ingredients together with a fork in a small bowl. Transfer this mixture into the prepared pie crust, and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Place the remaining half of the crust dough in between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out roughly into a circle roughly the size of the pie plate diameter at the top. Press lightly around the edges with your fingers to make the edge of the pie walls and top meet. Use an apple shaped cookie cutter (or another shape) to carefully cut a hole in the center of the top crust. Lastly seal the edge more fully by pressing them down with a fork going all the way around.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 35-45 minutes (until the edges are nice and golden and the filling bubbles and sets. Cool off on a wire rack, and enjoy!*
*Note: a hot pie will always be a little runny when sliced. The pie filling will firm up as it cools off completely.
Keywords: Vegan apple pie, gluten-free vegan apple pie, oil-free vegan apple pie, vegan gluten-free apple pie