This type of chocolate vanilla vegan ice cream bowl is one of my favorite casual treats to whip up. It's so simple, but so satisfying when you're craving something sweet and light. It's often my go-to breakfast, snack, or sometimes even a dinner when something savory just won't do...
Frozen bananas make an amazingly lush vegan ice cream base (aka Nice Cream), and paired with raw cacao powder and vanilla it makes a lovely treat on its own, or as a base for lots of tasty toppings of your choice.
With this recipe, you can play around with consistency and flavor to your liking. I never stick to a formula personally. Here are some variations you can try:
- Some days I feel like having it more runny / creamy, other days more stiff like an ice cream. As a general rule, the thicker, the more ice cream-like in flavor and texture.
- Some days I add more cacao or even carob instead (though use less than cacao if you're going that route).
- I love it with vanilla bean powder, but extract works well too in a pinch.
- I like the subtle flavor of the vanilla almond milk, but you can use another plant milk instead or even omit it altogether and just use a fresh small ripe banana instead (not frozen).
- Lots of options for other flavors too, like a hint of espresso, orange extract, almond extract, etc. :)
I kept the recipe below quite simple, but if you're looking for a more jazzed up version, have a look at this chocolate earl grey nice cream, or this chocolate basil version, or check out Unconventional Treats for more recipes. Or, if you're feeling like something even more fancy, check out these chocolate covered frozen banana pops as well.Print
Chocolate Vanilla Ice Cream Bowl
This chocolate vanilla ice cream bowl treat is a quick, easy, and wholesome vegan ice cream alternative. Refined sugar-free and oil-free recipe.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegan, Dessert
1. Blend the bananas, almond milk (starting with a ¼ cup), and vanilla together until completely smooth in a power blender (use the tamper if using a Vitamix to help the mixture blend better). Feel free to adjust the consistency to your liking by adding more or less almond milk to thicken or thin out the mixture. Scoop out half of this mixture into a bowl, keeping it mostly to one side of the bowl.
2. Add cacao powder to the remaining mixture in the blender and blend to combine. Scoop the chocolate mixture into the other side of the bowl, swirl the two mixtures together lightly with a spoon. Enjoy straight away!
Keywords: Chocolate Vanilla Vegan Ice Cream Bowl (Nice Cream)