How about some velvety blueberry cake bites for a change of pace? I can't even begin to tell you how simple, yet comforting these little blueberry bliss balls are. Honestly, if you've ever had a Need-To-Satisfy-A-Cake-Craving-Right-Now situation on you hands, but without the time to mess with an oven... these will be your friend. What could be better than an instant cake-type fix which requires no baking and doesn't leave a massive amount of leftovers to test your willpower, right? ;)
I went with blueberry because that's what I had on hand, but of course this would work beautifully with raspberries, strawberries, cherries... mmm... possibilities!
The trick is to use a cooked jam though, as it's a lot more concentrated than fresh fruit. I reached for a store-bought fruit-sweetened blueberry jam I had to use up, but this homemade version would work great too. And if you're going for raspberries, give this one a try: balsamic raspberry jam -- gosh, pulling up some old relics from the archives here for you! :)
This recipe is extremely forgiving... nothing complicated about it, and best of all it's fast. You can go from dessert hankering to blueberry cake bliss in just 15 minutes. These are also perfect to take for snacks on the go or mid-day munchies.
Once you've processed the batter, make sure you roll it into balls straight away, otherwise if it sits around for too long, the coconut in the recipe (which is extremely absorbent) will cause it to dry out. If you find your batter is dry just add a touch more milk to bring it back to the right consistency before rolling.
I loved these bliss balls chilled so I keep them stored in the fridge. Though you can always get to munching on them straight away too... Enjoy!
Blueberry Coconut Bliss Balls
An easy nut-free bliss balls recipe packed with coconut and blueberry jam. Perfect energy bite snack that’s naturally gluten-free and vegan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 13 - 14 balls
- Category: Bliss Balls
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 1 cup blueberry jam (can use this homemade recipe or a fruit-sweetened version (like St. Dalfour, which is what I used this time)
- 1¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened plant milk (I used almond milk or can use a nut-free milk of your choice)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut for rolling
- Process all ingredients, except shredded coconut, in a food processor into a uniform mixture. Allow it to sit for a minute. Meanwhile spread the shredded coconut on a plate.
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop or just pick out even amounts of the dough with your hands and roll the mixture into balls. Roll each ball in the shredded coconut and set aside. Let them rest a few minutes and enjoy fresh or chilled! (I liked mine refrigerated).