These (almond)-buttery cookies filled with lush apricot jam make for a simple, yet absolutely scrumptious quick sweet treat.
I just love the contrast between the nuttiness and the sweet / tart / fruity flavor of apricot jam together. These cookies were a "love at first bite" :)
There's just something sort of special about apricot jam in general. It's just so visually appetizing in a dessert. Juicy, and bright... and you'll love seeing it peek out of its little "envelope" in these cookies.
P.S. If you don't feel like fussing with "envelopes" here, you can always go for a good ol' thumbprint shape-cookie here instead.
Lastly, if you love this flavor combo, or just want more apricot jam recipe ideas, you might enjoy these sticky apricot jam bars, these apricot slices, apricot hamantaschen cookies, or this sachertorte ice cream, to name a few of the many apricot-inspired recipes on this website..Print
Almond Apricot Cookies
Almond-buttery cookies and lush apricot jam make for a simple, yet absolutely scrumptious quick treat.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 6 cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Vegan
- 6 tbsp oat flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp smooth natural almond butter*
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp apricot jam of your choice**
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a small cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Process all cookie dough ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball (note if the mixture is too sticky, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup). Form the mixture into a ball with your hands and knead briefly, then flatten into a disk.
- Place the disk between two sheets of parchment paper on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out into an ⅛" thickness. Use a knife or a pizza cutter to cut out squares out of the dough -- I usually get about 4 squares (approx 2" x 2") on the first pass, carefully transfer those onto the prepared cookie sheet, then gather remaining dough scraps, form into a ball again, and repeat the process of rolling out and cutting out more dough squares until you run out of dough (should get about 6 squares total).
- Place about 2 teaspoon of jam (or just under a tbsp) into the middle of each square of dough, then carefully gather 2 opposite edges of the cookie dough and connect them together over the jam, placing one edge slightly over the other and forming what appears to be an envelope in the making, or as though you are wrapping the jam in a blanket...
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 6-7 mins until the edges become slightly golden. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool a few minutes (they will firm up a bit as they cool off). Enjoy!
*For best results, the almond butter should be pretty creamy / runny. I.e. this recipe won't work with the hard/dry leftovers at the bottom of an almond butter jar! I recommend getting as creamy of a jar as possible, and then mixing it thoroughly once opened to incorporate all the oil in so the butter becomes smooth and uniform.
**You can use a homemade refined sugar-free jam here. Or can use store-bought fruit-sweetened apricot jam - that's what I used here (St. Dalfour brand). This easy no-cook apricot jam recipe is another option.
Keywords: almond apricot cookies, vegan apricot cookies, gluten-free apricot cookies, gluten-free vegan apricot cookies, vegan gluten-free apricot cookies, oat apricot cookies, gluten-free vegan kolacky cookies, vegan gluten-free apricot kolaches, gf vegan kolaczki cookies