Sharing a simple recipe today for a delicious walnut dessert sauce. I had an abundance of delicious walnuts and green grapes on hand and decided to play around and make a tasty ice cream topping with them, somewhat inspired by some excellent green walnut preserves that my mom gifted me recently.
This recipe is quite different to the above-mentioned preserves, but I've enjoyed both tremendously. It's hard not to like a flavorful crunchy topping and a sweet sticky sauce on some vegan vanilla ice cream, or on some plain banana ice cream or oats at breakfast...
These walnuts in maple syrup also make a lovely cake topping (think apple streussel cake, or a coffee cake..), and are just wonderful eaten on their own with a spoon.
I also jarred some for gifting... The glazed shine of maple covered walnuts looks so pretty that I thought they'd make great little presents, or even just something simple to bring along to a get together.
P.S. The grapes in this recipe turn raisin-ish, letting the natural juices and sweetness of the fruit seep out to combine with the maple syrup and orange juice, which creates and flavors the syrup. That's why the walnuts are so prominent in the photos.Print
Walnuts in Syrup
Sweet and crunchy walnuts in a wholesome syrup sauce are perfect as an ice cream topping, or just as a sweet treat on their own. Refined sugar-free.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3-4 cups
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Dessert
- 5 cups seedless green grapes
- 1 cup dark maple syrup
- juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups walnut halves (or chopped if you prefer)
1. Place all ingredients except walnuts in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a light boil on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Let boil for a few minutes, then lower the temperature to medium-low and simmer for about 40 mins to allow the liquids to reduce, giving things a stir once in a while. Add walnuts and simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow the mixture to cool off a little, then transfer into glass jars and cool completely. Serve over ice cream, cakes, or just enjoy as a treat. Keep the jars refrigerated when not using.
Keywords: Walnuts in Syrup Recipe (Refined Sugar-Free, Vegan)