The air is getting chilly, the ground is covered in buttery yellow leaves and autumn is in full swing here. It’s the perfect time to brew a hot cup of tea, don the bulky sweater and wrap up in piles of blankets. It’s also a cozy time to light a few candles and share these indulgent, butterscotch tartlets. One for you and one for someone special!
These little tarts are held together with a delectable, sturdy shortbread crust, filled with smooth, vegan butterscotch, and topped with a chocolate ganache drizzle. These tartlets are too wonderful not to share!
The tartlet layers are reminiscent of Millionaire Bars but better: butterscotch instead of caramel and set in pretty little tart shells. Billionaire Butterscotch Tarts? Yes, please!
Pssst... while you're here: if you can’t get enough of caramel and chocolate, this Layered Caramel Nougat Chocolate Slice cannot be missed and the Raw Caramel Pecan Cheesecake is great for entertaining more than two. If you want a delicious caramel to put on just about anything, this Vegan Dulce de Leche will hit the spot every time.
A quick note on pan size:
Though this recipe is designed for two 4” tartlets, it’s easy to size up to a 7” tart by doubling the recipe.Print
Vegan Butterscotch Tartlets
These little tarts are held together with a delectable, sturdy shortbread crust, filled with smooth, vegan butterscotch, and topped with a chocolate ganache drizzle.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Set Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Yield: 2 (4") tartlets
- Category: Pies & Tarts
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: dessert, vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- 1⁄2 c + 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp brown coconut sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 c coconut milk, full-fat canned
- 1 tsp agar agar flakes*
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter**
- 1⁄4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut milk, full-fat canned
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 4" tart pans with removable bottoms, pressing the crust into bottom and sides with fingertips to spread evenly. Use a fork to poke holes into bottom of crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until top edges are golden. When completely cool, carefully remove crusts from tart pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk agar flakes into the coconut milk and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut sugar, water, and salt. Over medium heat, stir for a few minutes until sugar is completely dissolved and reduce heat to med-low heat.
- Add in agar/milk mixture and bring to a simmer. Whisk frequently for 5 minutes to dissolve agar and remove from heat.
- Add vegan butter and vanilla and stir until butter is completely melted. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour butterscotch into cooled tart shells and set tarts in fridge for at least 45 minutes, until filling no longer jiggles.
- Melt equal measures vegan chocolate chips with coconut milk using either a double-boiler until chocolate is melted OR using microwave in 15 second intervals until chocolate is easily blended into the milk. Mix until glossy.
- Pipe or drizzle chocolate over chilled tarts. Allow chocolate to set before serving and enjoy!***
*Agar agar flakes perform much better over agar powder, even with proper conversion (3x flakes = 1x powder) the filling made with powder is unyielding in texture. Use flakes if you can!
** For vegan butter, I prefer Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Unsalted Butter though any vegan butter can be used.
***Tarts are best eaten the same day as filling the shortbread crust. Extended storage in an airtight container in the refrigerator will yield softer crusts. They'll still taste great, but the texture will be noticeably different.
Keywords: butterscotch, dairy-free, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, vegan butterscotch, dairy-free butterscotch, non-dairy butterscotch
Maria Manuela says
I love your recipts.
Thanks you for sharing.
So glad to hear you're enjoying the recipes! Thanks for the feedback <3