Move over every backlogged recipe I had lined up to be shared on the blog... This pumpkin spice breakfast porridge happened and I just had to make room for it straight away. I normally save simple things like this for my IG page, but this was so yummy it needed its own space...
I've been seeing quite a few pumpkin spice-themed breakfasts lately and have been hankering to try some, but it just hasn't been porridge kind of weather around here until last week, and with the first chilly autumn day, pumpkin spice porridge it was! And now I'm regretting not making this earlier -- it's sooo delicious and so simple. Like having pumpkin cake or scone for breakfast, but way quicker and so warming and nourishing too... A sneaky way to have dessert for breakfast healthily ;) and get your pumpkin spice fix at the same time... and get some veggies into breakfast (a rare occurrence over here... :P )
It's also a nice way to use up any unused pumpkin puree you may have leftover from other pumpkiny baking... ;)
Ready? Use your favorite porridge grains, top with your favorite cozy toppings, get that pumpkin + pumpkin spice in there and go! :)Print
Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Porridge
A simple, cozy gluten-free vegan breakfast porridge with spiced pumpkin for chilly autumn mornings.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving
- Category: Porridge
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- ¼ cup uncooked creamy buckwheat or creamy rice porridge (or porridge grain of choice)
- 1¼ cups water for cooking
- 1 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp pumpkin spice*
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- splash of non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add in the porridge grain (and raisins, if using) and cook for 10-12 minutes or according to instructions on package (time will vary depending on the grain you use), stirring occasionally.
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add in all remaining porridge ingredients and stir to combine. Allow to cook for the remaining few minutes to make sure everything is warned through. Add a splash of milk as needed to get it to your favorite consistency (I added maybe 1-2 tablespoon to mine).
- When done cooking, transfer into into a bowl. Sprinkle with nuts and seeds and toppings of choice. Top with 1 tablespoon maple syrup and a drizzle of molasses. Enjoy warm!
*If you can't find pumpkin spice, just use ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, dash of nutmeg, dash of allspice, and a dash of cloves instead.
Keywords: Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Porridge (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)