These dreamy hazelnut cookies are a new favorite here. I just love how full of flavor they are, yet with such a minimal and simple ingredients list. Hazelnut butter is the magical ingredient that makes these cookies super special.
Soft and chewy and deep flavored, plus perfectly crumbly -- these little cuties go ah-ma-zing with a glass of almond milk! Or as a little snack to pack for the road.
These little gluten-free vegan hazelnut cookies can be made two ways. Simple pressed round cookies as pictured above, or as cutout cookies as pictured below. For the cutouts, I used the same scalloped square mold as I used for my favorite cashew butter tea biscuits. And for the letter press, I used this stamp set.
Quick note: the cutout cookies, because of their size and shape, are a little bit delicate before baking and require a careful and patient method of transferring them onto the baking sheet to bake (as this recipe is oil-free and I tried not to use any gums or starches for the gluten-free flour here to keep things simple). Don't fret if a cookie breaks mid-transfer. It happens. Just add it back to the scraps and roll it out again. I find that the easiest way to transfer them is by using a metal spatula to scoop them up and a metal knife to gently push them off the spatula onto the prepared baking tray.
I hope it doesn't make the recipe sound intimidating -- the cutout cookies a breeze to make once you get the hang of it. And if you don't, you can always go with plan a and turn them into little round pressed cookies instead :)Print
Deliciously soft and chewy, and super flavorful hazelnut cookies -- this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 29 minutes
- Yield: 7-10 cookies
- Category: cookies
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: dessert
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball.*
- For regular round cookies (skip to step 4 for cutout cookies instructions): Remove the dough mixture from the processor and shape into a ball of dough with your hands. Divide this mixture into 7 smaller balls of dough. Roll each one into a little ball and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them out 2" apart. Press each cookie down with a fork, first going in one direction, then in the other, to flatten.
- For cutout hazelnut cookies (skip if making round cookies -- see step 3): Remove the dough mixture from the processor and shape into a ball of dough with your hands. Place on a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it's about an ⅛" thick. Remove the top sheet of parchment. Use a cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes. Carefully transfer the cookies using a spatula onto the prepared baking tray. Gather remaining dough scraps (and any cookies that might have broken mid-transfering -- hey, it happens... :) ), roll into a ball and repeat the process.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approx. 9 mins. Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
*The texture of the dough can be different depending on the hazelnut butter used. For example sometimes you might get a batch that’s more “oily” other times one that’s more dry + brands vary, etc. The dough should be soft and pliable. But if the mixture feels too sticky at this point, add a bit more flour (1 teaspoon at a time) and process again to incorporate; if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup or hazelnut butter. I recommend using a very creamy hazelnut butter -- be sure to stir the jar well after opening first.
Keywords: Gluten-Free Vegan Hazelnut Cookies (Oil-Free and Refined Sugar-Free)