I picked up a great batch of delicious fuji apples the other day and felt inspired to revisit another blog oldie today -- the simple apple basil combo that will forever remain a favorite. A few summers ago I discovered the joy of pairing basil with all kinds of fruit (and subsequently proceeded to include it in everything, of course...). One day I decided to give apples and basil a go -- such a simple way to play up the apple flavor and add an extra dose of nutrition to your day!
This smoothie is quite light and refreshing -- definitely not a thickie. In fact it's almost juice-like when you sip on it. Yet it's packed with simple good-for-you nutrients that make this a wonderful recharging pick-me-up. A good, sweet, crisp apple gives it a lot of flavor. The basil adds an interesting note -- a subtle depth and a nice change from a typical apple juice...
Everyone knows the good ol' "an apple a day" saying... but I was actually surprised to learn that basil is an herb that's jam-packed with amazing benefits too, and it has therefore become a "green" ingredient I use quite frequently in many of my smoothies. I don't usually talk about nutritional properties of ingredients because I find pretty much all wholesome foods are packed with things that are good for you anyhow -- I therefore don't dissect things too much or over-analyze. Yet when I read up on basil I was still amazed that this herb is so jam-packed with all kinds of goodness.
Like many greens, basil's got some amazing nutritional properties to its name:
- It's super anti-bacterial and has been shown to reduce bacterial growth in the body.
- It's anti-inflammatory, and is therefore a very beneficial food for those with gut inflammation and food sensitivities (and any other inflammatory conditions).
- It's a wonderful source for vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, copper, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron, folate, and omega-3 fats. (See full nutritional values here).
Amazing, right? The world of plants will never cease to amaze me! Makes me question why I've always treated basil like a side-kick and not like an incredible healing food... Well, now you have more reasons to make this simple smoothie and add a bit of extra dose of wholesomeness in your day.
Apple Basil Smoothie
A light, refreshing apple smoothie with the added hint of basil for depth of flavor.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: Just over 1 cup
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Refreshment
- 1 large apple, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves (5-6 large leaves or to taste)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- a few ice cubes (if you want it cold)
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth and drink up!