Sometimes you just gotta chocolate chip… You know, like when mid-afternoon munchies strike, you open the pantry and what’s staring back at you? Those chocolate chips you bought the other day. And they’re just begging to be turned into chocolate chip ice cream… Well, that’s how this recipe started out for me, but mid-way through the ice cream making I somehow did a u-turn and created this caramel swirl version instead. I don’t even know how the idea switched from choc chips to caramel ripple, maybe temporary amnesia, but hey, in that moment I wasn’t going to argue with caramel… ?
Fast forward and it’s clean-up time and there are those chocolate chips, STILL sitting on the counter… but alas, I had used up the majority of my ice cream ingredients. Limited resources can force you to come up with things you wouldn’t think of otherwise — and these raw chocolate chip vanilla “ice cream” slices happened just for that reason (what else could I have done, right?! ?).
I’m sure a classic chocolate chip ice cream would have been great… but, this is a nice change of pace from your standard ice-cream-in-a-bowl dessert. With the addition of a simple chocolatey crust, that ice cream morphs into easy, Reach-N-Grab bars that are super convenient — especially for serving and sharing.
I made mine as a very small batch and in a fairly small container, and it worked out just right for 4 mini slices. If you want, you could even turn this into a 4″ round cake (if you have a 4″ springform). I lined a container with parchment and that did the trick. Just had to trim off the uneven edges while slicing first (though that step is entirely optional).
Or… alternatively, you can multiply the filling ingredients by 4, forget the crust and just have that choc chip ice cream after all ?
If you let them thaw out a few minutes before tucking in you’ll end up with a creamy, dreamy, mellow, ice-creamy-y, vanilla slice, with just the right amount of chocolate crunch. Delicious!
- ½ cup raw cashews (or another nut)
- 2 soft medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp raw ground vanilla bean (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- ½ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained
- 2½ tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp raw ground vanilla bean
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp chocolate chips (or chopped raw chocolate bar)
- Process all crust ingredients in a food processor into a sticky crumbly mixture. Transfer into a small parchment-lined tupperware container (I used one that's 3" x 5.5") or a 4" springform pan and press down into a flat even crust. Freeze while working on the next layer.
- Make sure all filling ingredients are at room temp. Blend everything, except chocolate chips, in a high power blender into a smooth uniform consistency. Stir in 3 tbsp of the chocolate chips and then scoop the mixture over the prepared crust. Tap the container on the counter lightly to flatten, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp chocolate chips. Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. Remove from container, trim off the edges (if desired), slice and enjoy! Keep leftovers frozen.