… Well, and also a little bit by memories of a certain Turkish shop I used to frequent many years ago that had the most wonderful cookies (and Baklava) of all kinds — mostly in flavors of almond and pistachio. Just seeing all the tiny cookies they had on display sent me into happy mode back in the day :). For whatever reason, my memory brought me back to those beautiful cookies the other day and I felt inspired to go and make these gluten-free and vegan pistachio encrusted little nuggets of deliciousness.
The result were these lovely cookies, soft and chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside. And positively radiant due to the beautiful colors of the pistachios.
I also snuck in a little bit of almond extract into these cookies, which I find can really play up the pistachio flavor in many recipes. So don’t skip this ingredient if you want a lot more depth and magic to your cookies!
Soft and chewy cookies coated with crunchy and flavorful pistachios. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, and oil-free.
- approx. 3 tbsp raw pistachios, peeled
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a small cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Briefly process the pistachios for the coating in your food processor to form little crushed pieces. Remove the chopped pistachios from the processor and place them in a shallow bowl. Set aside. (Don’t worry if you have tiny bits or pistachio dust left behind in the food processor).
- Process all cookie ingredients in the food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball.* Remove this ball from the processor and shape into a ball of dough with your hands.
- Divide this mixture into 6 balls of dough. Roll each one first into a ball, then flatten with your fingers to form a little “hockey puck” shape. Roll one of these bits of dough in the crushed pistachios, first just running the sides of the cookie over the pistachios and then only the top part of the cookie — you’ll need to press the dough into the pistachios very lightly as you go to make the pistachio pieces stick (note: if you press too hard you, the shape of your cookie can become distorted). Place the crusted cookie on the prepared baking tray. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approx. 9 mins. Remove from the oven and place on a cooking rack to cool off a little. Enjoy!
*The texture of the dough can be different depending on the cashew butter used. For example sometimes you might get a batch that’s more “oily” other times one that’s more dry + brands vary, etc. The dough should be soft and pliable. But if the mixture feels too sticky at this point, add a bit more flour (1 tsp at a time) and process again to incorporate; if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup or cashew butter.
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon.com for products used to make the recipe.