These chocolate coconut vegan and gluten-free granola bars are a perfect snack or a pick me up — they're filling, nutritious, soft and chewy, and totally satisfy a chocolate craving!
Chocolate Coconut Vegan & Gluten-Free Granola Bars
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 bars
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread oats and shredded coconut evenly and toast for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from oven and pour into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using a double boiler, melt together coconut oil, coconut butter, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Stir to combine well. Pour over oat mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Line a 9 x 9" baking pan (or one of a similar size) with parchment paper. Pour oat mixture into the pan and spread mixture out evenly. Use an additional piece of parchment paper to press the mixture down by laying parchment paper on top and pressing down with your hands or with a flat bottomed jar. Make sure to press everything down well and evenly. Place in the refrigerator and refrigerate for 20 minutes or more to allow mixture to cool.
- While the granola bars are cooling off, combine all of the chocolate layer ingredients, except shredded coconut, in a glass bowl. Using a double boiler method melt all the ingredients together, stirring occasionally. Once mixture is uniform, remove the granola bars pan from the fridge and pour chocolate mixture on top, making sure it is evenly spread. Sprinkle with remaining shredded coconut and place back in the fridge to cool off for a few more minutes.
- When ready, remove from pan and transfer onto a baking sheet. Cut granola into squares. Store in an air-tight container, preferably in the fridge for longer freshness.
This chocolate layer comes out soft and chewy. If you prefer a harder and crunchier chocolate layer reduce the coconut oil to just 1 tbsp.
Keywords: Chocolate Coconut Vegan & Gluten-Free Granola Bars