It’s hot outside and summertime’s in full swing. Feeling like you need a way to cope with the steamy weather? May I suggest…ice cream, summer stone fruit, balsamic vinegar, a hint of cardamom, AND no churning or a noisy ice cream maker (plus a good dose of pink)… This is what summer love’s made of :)
I picked up a basket of plums at the farmer’s market the other day. They looked beautiful, but sadly tasted… meh : / Isn’t it a shame when that happens? What to do… Seeing as I didn’t want them to go to waste AND since I’ve been in total ice cream mode lately, that seemed like the simplest alternative. And you know what, it turned out amazing. Creamy, flavorful, tangy and sweet.
I really love pairing stone fruit with balsamic vinegar and maple. You can’t go wrong with that combo, each flavor highlight the others beautifully. If you’re into this flavor fusion, you may also like this balsamic strawberry and basil ice cream (it’s nut-free, too). And of course cooking that fruit mixture first (and adding that hint of tapioca) ensures you don’t end up with that dreaded dairy-free-refined-sugar-free #icyicecreamfail.
I sprinkled mine with some edible rose petals, but those are more for presentation. Yet, I kind of liked the flavor they added — so might consider throwing that into the mix next time… Here’s to lazy summer days, simple floral sprinkles, and ICE CREAM ❤︎
- 9 med-small plums, halved and de-stoned
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tapioca powder
- 1 cup cashews, pre-soaked and strained
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- Combine all plum mixture ingredients in a medium-small sauce pan and bring to a light boil on medium-high heat. Once the mixture begins to bubble continue simmering for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool on a wire rack until mixture is at room temp.
- Combine all ice cream mixture ingredients as well as the cooled plum mixture in a high speed blender and blend until smooth (use your tamper if using a Vitamix to get smoothest results).
- Transfer into a container of your choice and chill for 5-6 hours or overnight. Thaw out on the counter before serving and enjoy!