A deliciously lush and flavorful no-bake chocolate orange tart. Raw vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free.
*Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before getting started
1. Process the hazelnuts into a very fine crumble in a food processor. Add all remaining crust ingredients and process to combine. Transfer this mixture into a 7" tart pan with a removable bottom, and press down into a thin even crust all along the base and edges. Set aside.
2. Blend all orange layer filling ingredients in a power blender until completely smooth. Remove 2/3 of this mixture out of the blender and set aside.
3. Add all chocolate layer filling ingredients to the remaining mixture in the blender, and blend until smooth.
4. Pour or spoon in a bit of the chocolate mixture into the center of the crust in the pan, then pour / spoon in some of the orange mixture into the center of the chocolate mixture. Repeat the process, alternating between the two mixtures until you use them both up. Tap the pan on the counter lightly to smooth out the mixture. You can use a skewer to swirl the two layers together lightly. Sprinkle with cacao nibs around the edges.
5. Freeze the pan for 5-6 hours or overnight, then thaw out very slightly, slice and enjoy! Keep leftovers frozen.**
*To pre-soak nuts: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Additional Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.
**Storage notes: treat this tart like an ice cream dessert. Keep it frozen at all times until ready to eat, and freeze any leftovers. If left too long at room temperature it will begin to melt back into the consistency it was in the blender.
Keywords: Chocolate Orange Tart (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)