This sunflower seed-based chocolate tart is a delicious no-bake fudge-like dessert with a rich chocolatey flavor. This recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and paleo.
- 1¼ cup raw sunflower seeds, shelled*
- ½ cup honey dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 9 tbsp natural sunflower seed butter
- 9 tbsp plant milk**
- 9 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao butter, melted but not hot***
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cocoa powder (I recommend using alkalized)
- just over 1 tsp unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- just over ½ tsp salt
- Process all crust ingredients in a food processor into a fine sticky crumble. Transfer into a 7″ springform pan with a removable bottom (or a dish of a similar size, lined with parchment paper) and press down into a thin crust along the base and edges. Freeze while working on the next step.
- Blend all filling ingredients in a power blender until completely smooth. Pour this mixture into the prepared crust. Sprinkle with toppings, if using.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. Slice and enjoy!****
*Can also use toasted, but unsalted.
**I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk here, but if you’re looking for a nut-free option can use rice milk, soy milk, pumpkin seed milk, etc.
***If you have the Unconventional Treats book & video series, check out the video on the best way to melt raw cacao as well as the chapter on how to work with it if you need any assistance.
****Storage notes: keep the tart frozen until ready to eat. It softens quickly, so no need to thaw out ahead of time (or for more than 5-10 mins).