You know how sometimes you’re in the mood for a totally comforting treat that doesn’t need a ton of ingredients? That was me the other day :) There’s a few things that come straight to mind when I think comfort food, and two of them are: peanut butter + chocolate.
This trusty combo never disappoints. So my thinking with this simple, comforting cake was to basically take some creamy dreamy peanut butter cheesecake-like filling and put it together with an amazing, two-second, no-bake brownie crust.
Yep, peanut butter + brownies + a super easy recipe is all you need for a total win!
You know what else this lush little cake has going for it? There’s actually a few things. For one, the ingredients are so basic there’s a good chance you probably already have what’s needed right in your pantry and freezer. Peanut butter, bananas, some dates, almond flour, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Oh and be sure to sneak some chocolate chunks from your husband’s chocolate stash for the topping — not that I would do that….just saying ;)
Another thing this cake has going for it is that it’s made without a blender. If you have a good blender, that might not seem like much of a big deal — that is, until it comes time to wash the dishes, then you’ll thank me for the one less dish you have to wash ;). But seriously, it’s a great cake to try out if you only have a food processor and not a good blender (since many raw/ no-bake cakes turn out much much better with a high-power blender).
As an added bonus, this cake is cashew-free and made with no added oils…Oh and no coconut too! The one thing that is does have is bananas — if you’re in the no bananas camp, maybe try this peanut butter ice cream instead (one of my faves!).
For me though, peanut butter + bananas + chocolate is the holy grail of dessert. I love that combo so much, and if you’re like me, you might enjoy some of these treats:
Definitely give this creamy, rich, and delicious cake a try. There’s just something magical in that simple peanut buttery filling and soft and chewy brownie crust… guaranteed to fill that comfort dessert hankering the next time it strikes :)
A delicious pairing of creamy vegan peanut butter cheesecake with a rich gluten-free (and grain-free) chocolate crust. Oil-free & cashew-free.
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ⅔ cup soft dates, pitted (I used honey dates)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 frozen bananas (roughly chopped or cut into thirds)
- ¾ cup smooth natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- cacao nibs, chocolate chunks, chocolate shavings, etc.
- Process all crust ingredients in a food processor until the mixture is combined and starts to form into a ball. Transfer to a 6″ springform pan and press down into a flat even crust along the bottom. Freeze while working on next step.
- Wipe out the processor to remove any remaining residues from the crust. Add all filling ingredients to the processor and process into a smooth creamy texture. Transfer this mixture into the springform pan over the crust. Tap the pan on the counter a few times (to release air bubbles) and smooth out the top of the cake with the back of a spoon. Decorate with desired toppings.
- Freeze for 6 hours or overnight to set. Remove from pan, slice and serve. Keep leftovers frozen.*
*Storage notes: treat this cake as you would ice cream. If left at room temperature it will begin to slowly melt as it thaws, so best to keep it frozen until serving time and give it a light thawing on the counter as needed (5-10 mins, until it slices easily).
Disclaimer: this recipe contains affiliate links to the products used to make the recipe.