Delicious and easy vegan chocolate covered banana peanut butter ice cream pops. This recipe is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and can be made refined sugar-free.
- 2 medium-small ripe bananas*
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp smooth and creamy natural peanut butter**
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped dairy-free dark chocolate***
- optional: 2 tbsp melted cacao butter (or de-scented coconut oil)****
- Process all pops ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a pop mold (I had mine resting on a metal tray, since it’s made of silicone), add the pop sticks in. Freeze for 5-6 hours until fully solid.
- Once the pops are frozen solid, remove them from the mold and place them on a piece of parchment paper on a metal tray. Return back to the freezer while working on the next step.
- Melt the coating chocolate (and cacao butter / coconut oil, if using) in a double boiler. Transfer into a tall and relatively narrow drinking glass or mason jar (should be just wide enough for the ice cream pop to fit into it for dunking, and not too tall so you can dunk the pop all the way in). Wait until the mixture is still liquid but not too hot. Then briefly dunk each pop in the melted chocolate to coat, wait a few seconds for the coating to begin to harden, then set it on a piece of parchment paper on a chilled metal tray (this helps the chocolate not to spread out too much). Return to the freezer for 10 mins to fully set. Then enjoy! Keep the pops frozen until ready to eat or thaw out very lightly.
*Mine weighed 223gr with the peel, and 147gr without peel.
**If you can’t do peanut butter, these will be good with a creamy hazelnut butter or pecan butter too.
***Note that if your pop making mold is large you might need more chocolate so that the pops can be evenly coated (mine are medium-small, so you don’t need as much). As an alternative to the chopped chocolate, feel free to use this DIY vegan magic shell for the coating instead, though note that it will make a thinner coating.
****Adding the oil helps to thin out the chocolate mixture so that it’s easier to coat the pops with. Cacao butter (also known as cocoa butter) is recommended for best flavor).