This simple vegan, grain-free, and gluten-free apple crisp has been a favorite go-to dessert (and frequently breakfast) around here for years. The first year I made this recipe, during apple season (when we had wild apples from the forest for days), I must have made this every sinlgle day — and that’s no an exaggeration. It’s a simple, wholesome family recipe we never get tired of around here and I especially love it because it only takes minutes to throw together and comes out great every time.
I also love making apple crumbles like this because you can improvise with it a lot and add in all kinds of things — nuts, seeds, jams, berries, etc., so it never gets boring and it’s such an easy way to use up bits and pieces of whatever tasty things you’ve got leftover laying around. You can also easily swap the almonds for another nut of your choice.
For a lighter version, I sometimes skip the crumble part, and just add in a ¼ cup apple butter or applesauce to the filling as the baked apple filling is wonderful on its own too (especially with some added cashew nuts and some non-dairy ice-cream or yogurt, or vegan whipped cream).
You can also do this with other fruits. This balsamic peach crumble recipe is another variation on this recipe, for example.
A grain-free easy apple crisp recipe, made with warm spices and topped with slivered almonds. Vegan apple crumble with paleo options. Naturally refined sugar-free and gluten-free.
- 6 cups finely chopped apples
- 1 tbsp non-dairy butter (or neutral tasting coconut oil), softened or melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Optional: a handful of raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil a pie dish (or any similar size pan) and set aside.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Transfer to the pie dish and spread evenly.
- Mix all topping ingredients (except slivered almonds reserved for garnish, if using) in a separate small mixing bowl until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples in the pie dish. Garnish with slivered almonds if desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approx 30 minutes, until the crumble turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately (with a side of vegan vanilla ice-cream, non-dairy yogurt, or whipped cream — highly recommended) or chill if you like your apple crumble cold (makes a great gluten-free vegan breakfast!). Enjoy!