These sesame and chia seed bars come together so easily, only require a handful of ingredients, and make a wonderful light snack, breakfast bar for the road, or a little school treat. They’re also a nice way to sneak some seeds into your day. The smell of toasted sesame seeds + maple syrup baking is a lovely bonus.
Another thing I just love about these bars is that they have the crunch of the seeds going on, and yet are soft and chewy at the same time. They also happen to go great with a hot cuppa ;)
One thing that’s important to note is that despite looking like classic “sesame snaps” you can buy at the store, these are actually not overly sweet (which I liked in this case). But we’ve had some mixed reviews around here. Some people liked these sweeter, some thought they were great as-is (myself included).
The conclusion: if you’re in the mood for a sweeter sort of a bar, or just want these to have a little something extra, dip them in chocolate or drizzle some melted chocolate on top. Alternatively you can add a few (~4 tbsp) coconut sugar to the mix to sweeten the deal that way instead.
I used white chia seeds here by the way, because I had them on hand and they harmonized better with the sesame seeds visually, but black chia seeds would work just as well too (the ground chia seeds I used were black ones though).
These chewy sesame and chia seed snack bars work as a great light snack or a breakfast on-the-go. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, paleo, and oil-free.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup white chia seeds
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- melted chocolate of your choice for dipping or drizzling
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a small baking tray (I used one that’s 7.5″ x 9.5″, but anything of a similar size will do) with some parchment paper and set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir everything together to combine. Let sit for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- After the 15 mins have passed, give the mixture another stir to make sure it’s well-combined. Then transfer it into the prepared baking tray. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1hr and 10 mins. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for about an hour. Once completely cooled, cut into bars and enjoy!*
* Storage notes: the bars can be stored at room temperature in a sealed container, if consumed within 2-3 days. Otherwise they can be stored in the fridge for a longer shelf-life, or frozen for later use.