A raw cheesecake made with golden berries (also known as physalis), which lend their sweet and sour notes and pastel yellow hue to this treat. This recipe is grain & gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 soft medjool date, pitted
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 20 physalis berries, de-husked
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- A few more physalis berries, chopped pistachios
- Process all crust ingredients in a food processor into a sticky crumble. Transfer to a 4″ springform pan and press down into a flat crust. Freeze while working on the next step.
- Blend all filling ingredients in a power blender into a smooth consistency (make sure they’re all at room temp first). Pour the filling into the pan over the crust and smooth out the top. Decorate with desired toppings.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight. Thaw out slightly, slice and enjoy! (Keep leftovers frozen).
*To pre-soak nuts: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Additional Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.