A festive raw vegan ice cream cake with beautiful accents of grapefruit and pistachios. This recipe is free from: dairy, refined sugar, gluten & grains, eggs, and soy.
- 1/2 cup pistachios (shelled and unsalted)
- 1 soft medjool date, pitted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, soft or liquefied
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained*
- 1/2 a grapefruit, peeled and de-seeded
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, soft or liquefied
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup more pistachios
- Process all crust ingredients, except maple syrup, in a food processor until a sticky crumble is formed. Add maple syrup and process again to combine. Transfer the mixture into a 5″ springform pan and press to form a crust along the base and a bit up the edges all around. Place the pan in the freezer while working on the next step.
- Blend all filling ingredients, except pistachios, in a power blender until completely smooth. Add in the pistachios and quickly pulse the blender once or twice just to fold the nuts in without blending them (alternatively you can fold them in by hand into the filling with a spatula). Pour this mixture into the pan over the crust. Smooth out the top.
- Decorate with toppings — I placed the grapefruit slice in the center (make sure it’s not too thin when you slice so that it doesn’t disappear on the cake), then sprinkled with chopped pistachios and a hint of rose petals all around.
- Freeze for 5 hours or overnight. Thaw out a touch and enjoy! Keep leftovers frozen.
*To pre-soak nuts: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Additional Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.