A creamy, spreadable raw dulce de leche recipe that can be used anywhere you need gooey vegan caramel. Refined sugar-free.
- 1½ cups medjool dates, pitted (regular dates work fine too if using a power blender, otherwise pre-soak first)
- 1¼ cups agave (or liquid sweetener of your choice, like maple syrup, coconut nectar, etc.)
- ¼ cup coconut butter (also known as coconut manna)
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- ½ tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tsp unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- ¼ tsp salt (or more if you like salted caramel)
- Blend all ingredients together for a few minutes until smooth. Thin out with a bit of water if using as a drizzle. Enjoy!
Store at room temperature for a few days, or in the fridge for several weeks. If storing in the fridge the mixture will solidify a bit and will need to be re-warmed / brought back to room temp before use.