A delicious no-churn vegan ice cream made with purple sweet potatoes and tahini.
- 1 ½ lbs purple sweet potatoes, baked*
- 1 ⅓ cups coconut cream (from canned full-fat milk)**
- 1 cup coconut water***
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp raw ground vanilla bean (or a tsp of pure vanilla extract)
- melted dark chocolate for drizzling or this DIY magic shell recipe.
- Blend all ice cream ingredients into a smooth consistency in a power blender (if using a Vitamix, use the tamper to help the mixture mix thoroughly).
- Transfer the mixture into a freezer-safe glass container and chill overnight (or at least 5-6 hours).
- When ready to eat, thaw out the ice cream to a scoopable consistency****, serve drizzled with melted chocolate. Enjoy!
*My sweet potatoes were on the small side, so I just sliced them in half and baked them for 40 mins at 400F (in a pre-heated oven) on a parchment-lined tray. Then make sure to cool them off completely (you can even make a day ahead and chill them in the fridge until ready to use).
**The coconut cream used in this recipe is only the firm white stuff gathered at the top of chilled cans of full-fat coconut milk. You’ll need to chill the cans in an upright position overnight for the cream to separate from the water and surface up to the top. I used four 160ml Thai Kitchen full fat coconut milk cans for this recipe. ALTERNATIVELY, if you’re trying to avoid coconut, you can use a plant milk of your choice instead. The coconut cream helps to make this ice cream more creamy, and less “icy”.
***The leftover water from the full fat milk cans is what I used here. You can alternatively use a non-dairy milk of your choice.
****Note: this ice cream takes a bit longer to thaw out so it’s easily scoopable (unless it’s very hot where you are), so give it a bit of time on the counter :) .