A simple, cozy gluten-free vegan breakfast porridge with spiced pumpkin for chilly autumn mornings.
- ¼ cup uncooked creamy buckwheat or creamy rice porridge (or porridge grain of choice)
- 1¼ cups water for cooking
- 1 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp pumpkin spice*
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- splash of non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add in the porridge grain (and raisins, if using) and cook for 10-12 minutes or according to instructions on package (time will vary depending on the grain you use), stirring occasionally.
- In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add in all remaining porridge ingredients and stir to combine. Allow to cook for the remaining few minutes to make sure everything is warned through. Add a splash of milk as needed to get it to your favorite consistency (I added maybe 1-2 tbsp to mine).
- When done cooking, transfer into into a bowl. Sprinkle with nuts and seeds and toppings of choice. Top with 1 tbsp maple syrup and a drizzle of molasses. Enjoy warm!
*If you can’t find pumpkin spice, just use ⅛ tsp cinnamon, dash of nutmeg, dash of allspice, and a dash of cloves instead.