These delicious — crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside — waffles come together in a snap and only take a handful of ingredients to make. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and can be made with no added oils.
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or another plant milk)
- 1 small ripe peeled banana (about 155 gr before peeling)
- 4 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup millet flour
optional: oil spray or some non-dairy butter for seasoning the waffle maker*
- powdered coconut milk for dusting**, maple syrup, coconut whipped cream***
- Preheat waffle maker to a medium-high setting (or to whatever your preferred setting is). Have an an oil spray standing by (if using).
- Place all waffle ingredients, except millet flour, in a power blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the Flour and blend once again to combine.
- Pour half of this mixture (or whatever amount is suited for your waffle maker size) into your pre-heated (and oiled) waffle maker and bake for 5 minutes (until steam stops rising from the waffle maker). Carefully remove the waffle onto a plate with the help of silicone-tipped tongs (or something similar). Note: it will crisp up as slightly as it cools on the plate. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
*If you have a good non-stick waffle maker, or if your waffle maker is already seasoned, then you can skip the oil. Otherwise a light spray coat does the trick nicely (I used this coconut oil spray).
**For the coconut milk powder, if using, be careful that the brand you purchase is actually dairy-free because some can contain dairy in addition to coconut. I linked in the ingredients list a brand that’s vegan so you can see an example of what to look for.
***For the coconut whipped cream, I just made a tiny portion here by whipping up the white solids from a small can of full fat coconut milk that’s been chilled overnight. (I used this one from Thai Kitchen) and a 1 tsp of maple syrup. Can also use a ready-made commercial variety, or use other toppings like jam, a chocolate spread, fresh berries, ice cream, etc.