Ok, this dessert is too easy! And also too indulgent, if you ask me. But it had to happen. And it did. And it was absolutely delicious! I mean, these super easy gluten-free vegan marshmallow chocolate cups are basically delicious marshmallow fluff, coated with a thin layer of delicious chocolate, and they taste just like Cadbury eggs! A dairy-free, egg-free Cadbury egg! This is huge. I used to love those so much growing up. Anyways, I don’t think I need to explain any further. Vegan marshmallow fluff + chocolate = pure awesomeness in my books. Here’s how you make them:Print
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (or carob powder)
- 3 tbsp liquid sweetener of your choice (I used maple syrup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- one 10 oz jar Suzanne’s Ricemellow Creme (gluten-free vegan marshmallow spread; I typically get mine at a local health food shop)
- Or you can use a homemade version of your choice (something like this, though I haven’t tried this particular recipe so can’t vouch for it. Looks good though :) )
- Or, see here for more vegan marshamllow options.
- Coarse salt flakes for garnish
You’ll Also Need:
- Silicone cupcake molds. I used this kind. It makes the process of peeling out the cups much much easier and you end up with less breakage.
- To make the chocolate coating, follow the directions for this DIY Gluten-Free Vegan Magic Shell recipe (but with half the ingredients). If your coating mixture is very hot, be sure to allow the mixture to cool off before proceeding to the next step (you may need to stir it again to incorporate everything
- Once the coating is ready, pour HALF of the chocolate coating into the molds, divided evenly between the six molds. Use a silicone pastry brush (or anything similar, like even your finger), to brush up and spread the chocolate all along the sides of the cupcake mold so that it’s coated evenly. Place each cupcake mold on a small tray or plate as you finish coating them with the chocolate. As soon as you’re finished, place the tray into the freezer and let it sit for 10-15 minutes for the chocolate shell to harden up.
- Take out the the tray from the freezer. Spoon marshmallow creme into each cup, approximately 1 ½ -2 tbsp per cup. Push down lightly with a spoon to flatten the creme. Pour the remaining half of the chocolate coating over the top of each cup, trying to get it so that the chocolate covers the tops entirely. Sprinkle each marshmallow cup with some coarse sea salt. Return to the freezer and allow the cups to cool and set for at least an hour to set.
- Once the cups are set (and the chocolate is solid), take the tray out of the freezer. CAREFULLY peel off each silicone mold, trying to avoid breaking the chocolate coating. Enjoy these immediately, or store in a container in the fridge for later use.