Delicious moist and rich baked hazelnut brownies with a creamy chocolate hazelnut frosting. Gluten-free and vegan.
Brownies — Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder*
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
Brownies — Wet Ingredients
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup natural creamy hazelnut butter**
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
- 7 tbsp hazelnut butter
- 5 tbsp melted vegan dark chocolate
- a small handful each: chopped pistachios, chopped hazelnuts, chopped dried raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking dish that’s roughly 7″ x 4.5″ (or a dish of a similar size) with parchment paper along the base and edges and set aside.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine everything with a wooden spoon. Transfer the brownie mixture into the prepared baking dish and flatten the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 16 minutes until the top feels springy when lightly touched. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack (don’t remove the brownies from the tray at this stage).***
- Once fully cooled, prepare the chocolate hazelnut frosting by stirring together all frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Spread this mixture over the brownies in the tray (it’ll be quite runny at this stage). Sprinkle with toppings (if using) and place the tray in the fridge for about an hour (or longer) for the chocolate frosting to firm up. Once it seems like it solidified a little you can remove the brownies from the fridge, cut into squares, and enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge.
*Or cocoa powder. I just used what I had on hand.
**The hazelnut butter should be very creamy and runny. For best results use a fresh jar of hazelnut butter and stir the contents really thoroughly for the oil and nut butter to become fully incorporated.
***It’s important that the brownies are fully cooled in order for the chocolate frosting (step 4) to firm up (as otherwise it’ll remain runny).