These gluten-free vegan double chocolate mint cookies are lightly crunchy and perfect when you need a chocolate fix.
- 7 tbsp white rice flour (I used a finely ground one)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1½ cups chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips of your choice, melted*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional, for easier coating)**
- optional: crushed edible rose petals
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Process all cookie ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball (note if the mixture is too sticky, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup). Form the mixture into a ball with your hands and knead briefly, then flatten into a disk.
- Place the disk between two sheets of parchment paper on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out into an ⅛” thickness. Remove the top layer of parchment and set aside.
- Use a round 1½ ” round cookie cutter to cut out cookies (I used this kind of cutter for mine). Transfer the cookies onto the parchment lined baking tray, and space at least ½” apart. You should get about 12 cookies from this dough (keep gathering extra dough and repeat the rolling out process until it’s all used up).
- Bake the cookies in a pre-heated oven for 10 mins (or bake longer for crispier cookies to your liking). Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack (they will firm up a bit as they cool off).
- Once the cookies and tray are cool, place the cookie tray with cookies still on it in the freezer for 15-20 mins to chill (this will help the chocolate coating in the next step to set quickly). In the meantime prepare the chocolate coating by melting the chocolate (I used a double boiler method) and stir in the extra coconut oil (if using).
- When ready to coat, take out the cookie tray from the freezer. Place a cookie on a fork and dunk in the melted chocolate to coat. Wipe off any excess chocolate by running the fork tines over the rim of the melted chocolate dish. Set on the chilled parchment lined tray to set. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Quickly sprinkle with rose petals before the chocolate fully sets on the cookies. Chill or freeze again for 5-10 mins to help the chocolate fully set and enjoy! ***
*Can also make your own refined sugar-free and dairy-free magic shell coating using this easy recipe, although the cookies will be slightly more melty, so keep refrigerated.
**If using magic shell recipe above, then no need for the additional tbsp of coconut oil for the coating.
*** I recommend keeping the cookies refrigerated for best result (though they will be ok at room temperature as well, provided it’s not too hot where you are).