- 1 ½ cups almonds
- 1 cup dried figs (presoaked and strained)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (I used raw cacao powder)
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of your choice (I used maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp rum (OR 2 tsp rum essence)
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Optional: more cocoa powder for dusting (or can use icing sugar or shredded coconut)
- Place the almonds into a food processor and process until they are finely crumbled (just a bit less fine than almond flour).
- Add in all remaining ingredients and process until everything is combined and the mixture begins to form into a ball.
- Take small bits of the mixture and roll into balls using your hands.
- Optional: Roll in some extra cocoa powder for a dusted finish. I personally like them better without, but they do look nicer dusted — so up to you :)
- Enjoy right away or refrigerate for an hour or more for a firmer consistency (that’s how I like them best).