A tart, flavorful, and refreshing gluten-free vegan balsamic peach crumble with a hint of basil, almonds, and pistachios.
- 2 lbs ripe peaches, de-stoned and rough chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch*
- ½ tsp ground ginger (spice)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- optional: 3-4 tbsp coconut sugar**
1.Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
2. Toss all filling ingredients together into a large mixing bowl to combine. Then transfer the mixture into a 10″ pie plate (or a deeper 9″ plate) and level it out so that the filling is distributed evenly in the pan. Set aside.
4. To prepare the topping, place the almond flour, oats, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the maple syrup and non-dairy butter/coconut oil and stir once again to create a wet sticky crumble.
5. Use a small cookie scoop to distribute small amounts of the mixture all over the filling. Then sprinkle with the chopped pistachios. Note, it will look like too little topping until it’s done baking, so try to distribute it in very small amounts so that it can be spread out evenly.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40 mins. Cool off slightly on a wire rack and enjoy warm (goes well with a side of vanilla ice cream) or allow the crumble to cool completely then chill in the fridge overnight for a cold and refreshing treat.
**This crumble is naturally tart and refreshing, but if you prefer a sweeter filling or if your peaches are not very sweet, I recommend adding some coconut sugar to the filling mix.
***For a grain-free / oat-free version of this tart, use the topping from this apple crumble recipe instead.