- ¾ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained*
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple butter (I used my DIY apple butter recipe, but store-bought would work fine too)
- ¼ cup sweet potato puree
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender (I used my Vitamix for this) and blend until the mixture is completely smooth and silky. Pause and scrape down sides as needed in the process as needed until the mixture is well-blended.
- Enjoy warm or at room temp. Or chill in the fridge for a more mousse-like consistency. Refrigerate any leftovers.
*To pre-soak nuts: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Additional Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.