A beautiful combination of carob and pumpkin, in a lush and satisfying tart dessert. Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo recipe. No refined sugar.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, liquified
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- ½ tbsp pure vanilla extract*
- 5 tbsp pumpkin puree (I used 1 15oz can pumpkin puree in total for this recipe and took the 5 tbsp from that. You can also use your own cooked pumpkin puree but make sure it’s not too runny; strain the liquid out if necessary)
- dash of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp carob powder
Spiced Pumpkin Filling:
- 1 cup coconut oil, liquified
- 1 ⅓ cup pumpkin puree (or remainder of the 15oz can — see note in crust ingredients)
- 6 tbsp maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract*
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil a tart pan and set aside.
- Place all crust ingredients into a large mixing bowl, except for coconut flour, tapioca starch, and carob powder. Use an immersion blender to mix all the ingredients together until smooth (Note: if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can do this in a blender and then transfer to a mixing bowl).
- Add in remaining crust ingredients and mix the mixture with a wooden spoon (or by hand) until mixture is uniform.
- Transfer the dough mixture into a 7″ tart dish and press it down with your hands to spread it evenly throughout the pan (base and edges) until it’s shaped and molded to the tart pan shape. Use a fork to pierce some holes along the base of the crust to prevent bubbling while baking. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool a on a rack.
- To prepare the filling, place all filling ingredients in a good blender (I used my Vitamix for this) and blend until mixture is smooth. Pour into the cooled tart crust. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours (or overnight) to allow the tart to set. Enjoy!
*For AIP, use a pinch of raw ground vanilla bean instead.