Juicy baked plums inside a gluten-free cookie type tart crust. Top with vegan vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat. Naturally refined sugar-free and dairy-free.
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- 8 tbsp cashew butter
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Process all crust ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball (note if the mixture is too runny, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup). Form the mixture into a ball with your hands and knead briefly, then flatten into a disk with your hands. Roll the disk out with a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment into a rough rectangle about a ¼” thick. Cut off the uneven edges to form a proper rectangle (save the scraps for the lattice).
- Lay out the sliced plums on the dough surface in a design pattern of your choice (I just did neat rows of overlapping plums slices), making sure to leave a boarder about an inch uncovered all around.
- Mix the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and cinnamon in a small bowl together (I used a pastry brush). Brush the tops of the plums with the mixture. If you have a bit of mixture leftover, set it aside.
- Carefully fold over the edges of the dough over the plums (I usually lift the parchment paper underneath each edge and pull it upwards then fold over and press the dough down gently, then peel the parchment paper back down, to create an even edge).
- Roll out the remaining dough scraps from the crust cutaways. You can roll it out and cut into strips, or simple roll it flat and use a mini cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Decorate the top of the crostata to your liking with it (I created some very basic lines for a lattice, and then used the rest to create thin stars to place on each lattice cross). Note: this dough is not super pliable, so aim for a simple design.
- Brush the top of the crostata with any remaining maple cinnamon mixture. Optional: sprinkle with a bit of sucanat or coconut sugar. Carefully transfer the crostata (along with the parchment paper it is on) onto a small baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for for approx 45 mins. Cool off on a cooling rack and enjoy with a side of vanilla ice cream.