Lush vegan version of “three milks” cake aka Tres Leches Cake, topped with billowy dairy-free whipped cream. Gluten-free and made without refined sugar.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut milk at room temp.
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp organic full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
- 1 15 oz can full fat organic coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tbsp raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid
- large flake coconut for topping
- [my addition: a sprinkle of edible dried rose petals]
- Preheat oven to 375F and position rack in center of oven. Line an 8×8 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper and pan sides lightly with oil.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk wet ingredients (except cider vinegar) together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Whisk in the cider vinegar.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared pan and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack, about 1 hour. Turn cake out onto platter, peel off parchment paper.
- Whisk together the soaking syrup ingredients, and then brush over top of cake.
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, and place in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes (whisking every 15) until it thickens to the consistency of thick whipped cream. Spread the frosting over cake, then top with large flake coconut (and rose petals, if using).