Cute hedgehog cutout cookies made with a sweet carob tea biscuit recipe. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and sure to please no matter what the cookie cutter shape.
- 6 tbsp white rice flour (I used a finely ground one from Compliments)
- 2 tbsp smooth cashew butter
- 2 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp toasted carob powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp salt
- optional: 1 tsp cinnamon or a pinch of raw ground vanilla bean
- optional: dark chocolate balls, mini chocolate chip, cacao nibs, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball (note if the mixture is too sticky, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit more maple syrup). Form the mixture into a ball with your hands and knead briefly, then flatten into a disk. Place the disk between two sheets of parchment paper on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out into an ⅛” thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out as many cookies as you can (I used these) — transfer those onto the prepared cookie sheet. Gather remaining dough scraps, form into a ball, and repeat the process of rolling out and cutting out more cookies until you run out of dough.
- If desired, stick a little chocolate ball, cacao nib, mini chocolate-chip, etc. in the eye area, or simply create a little dent imprint with a chop stick. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 9 mins (or bake longer for crispier cookies to your liking). Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool a few minutes (they will firm up a bit as they cool off). Enjoy!