A gluten-free and dairy-free version of the traditional triangular Hamantaschen cookie filled with sticky apricot jam.
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional; omit for nut-free)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 13 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- ⅓ – ½ cup water, room temp (or warm)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place rice flour, maple syrup, vanilla, almond extract, salt and 5 tbsp sunflower seed butter into a food processor and process to combine. Add in another 5 tbsp sunflower seed butter and process again. Then add the remaining 3 tbsp and process (this helps the sun butter blend into the dough better than processing all at once). Add ⅓ cup water and process again. At this point you should have a very sticky, stretchy, pliable mixture, but one that can be lumped into a ball. If it seems a little dry still, add a bit more water and process again (I only used ⅓ cup of water with the sun butter for this recipe, but found other nut-butters required a slightly greater amount of water).
- Wet your hands a little and lump ½ of the dough into a ball, kneading it lightly. Flatten into a disk and place on a piece of parchment paper (if at this point the ball is cracked all around the edges, you’ll need to return it to the processor and add a bit more water and process again — that’s an indication the mixture is too dry. A bit of cracking is normal though). Cover with a second sheet of parchment paper and roll out into an ⅛” thickness. Cut out circles using a 2″ round cookie cutter (or a glass rim).
- Transfer the cookies onto the prepared cookie sheet. Place about 1 tsp apricot jam in the center of each circle. Then lift two edges of the circle up over the filling and pinch to seal a “corner”, then life the remaining side of the circle and pinch to seal the other 2 corners. Make sure you seal those corners well, as otherwise the cookies will open up as they bake. Touch up any cracks at this stage. 5. Repeat step 3 & 4 with the other half of the dough.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 13-15 mins (the longer they bake the crunchier they’ll be). Cool on a rack completely and enjoy!