Satisfying, mini cinnamon bites in a cute donut shape. Make them as cinnamon donut balls too. Light, sweet, perfect snack size. Gluten-free, vegan. No bake.
Cookie Dough Bites:
- ½ cup dates, pitted, pre-soaked and strained*
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or ½ tsp raw ground vanilla bean)
- 1 ½ cups instant oats (gluten-free)
- Additional 1 cup instant oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or maple sugar or date sugar for coconut-free version)
- Place all cookie dough bites ingredients in a food processor, except the additional 1 cup instant oats, and process the mixture to combine. Add in half of the remaining instant oats and process to combine, then add the remained and process once again. The mixture at this point should be sticky but not too wet — test if you can pinch the mixture with your fingers or form into a small ball — if it’s too wet, add a bit more oats and process until you can roll a ball with the mixture.
- Prepare a tray lined with parchment (or set donut pan on a flat tray if using). Set aside. Stir the coating ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside as well.
- Take out about 1 tbsp of the cinnamon oat bites mixture (or more) and roll into a ball with your hands**. Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture to lightly coat as you go along, then set on the prepared tray. Repeat until you run out of mixture.
- Chill for 20 mins in the fridge, then transfer into an air-tight storage container and enjoy! You can keep them at room temp if planning to consume within a day or two, or keep refrigerated. They also freeze well and thaw out very fast if you want to save some for a longer period of time.
*To soak the dates, place measured out pitted dates in a glass bowl, cover with boiled water (or room temperature water if you prefer to keep them on the raw side) and allow to soak for at least 15 mins to rehydrate and soften (if water was at room temp instead of freshly boiled, then soak for about 4 hours). Then strain and discard the water.
**If using the mini donut pan, press the ball into the mold and shape into a donut shape with your fingers, then freeze for 30 mins and pop out gently. Then coat in the cinnamon coating, chill and enjoy.