These chocolate covered frozen bananas are an easy way to have a wholesome & vegan delicious ice cream treat.
Banana Ice Cream
- 3 bananas
- 6 popsicle sticks or skewers (optional)
- 1 ½ cups vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1–2 tbsp unscented coconut oil or cacao butter (optional)**
- dried raspberries
- chopped pistachios (omit or use hemp seeds if nut-free)
1. FROZEN BANANAS: Cut the bananas in half horizontally (so that you’re left with 2 short thick pieces). If using a popsicle stick, skewer each banana half down the middle. Place the bananas on a parchment-lined metal tray and freeze for 1-2 hours (until the bananas become very firm up and cold to the touch).
2. CHOCOLATE COATING: Once the bananas are frozen, melt the chocolate coating ingredients in a double boiler. Transfer the chocolate mixture into a narrow glass jar or drinking glass.
3. ASSEMBLY: Have the optional toppings handy on the counter (ready for sprinkling). Remove bananas (and the chilled metal tray they are on) from the freezer. Briefly dip a banana half in the jar of melted chocolate to coat. Sprinkle with some toppings, hold it up in the air upright for a few seconds for the chocolate to firm up a little, then place back on the parchment-lined metal tray. Repeat with remaining bananas.
4. Return to the freezer to set for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!***
*If you prefer, you can make your own chocolate coating instead by using this DIY vegan magic shell. Note, it tends to spread a little thinner than melted chocolate, so you might want to do a double coating.
**The coconut oil just helps to thin out the chocolate so it’s easier to dip. You can skip it if you prefer, or use some cacao butter instead for a richer chocolate flavor.
***Store the bananas in a sealed container in the freezer.