A warm, creamy breakfast bowl that’s entirely grain and gluten-free, and provides a healthy dose of sneaky vegetables beneath optional fruit, nut, chocolate, and maple syrup drizzle.
- 1½ – 2 cups cauliflower florets
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or light canned coconut milk for a creamier version)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp raw ground vanilla bean (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- 1–2 tbsp cacao powder (or more for a darker chocolate flavor)
- 1 tsp unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- nuts (I used some pecans), raisins, fresh fruit (I used figs, but strawberries are nice too), more maple for drizzling, coconut sugar for sprinkling (adds a nice subtle caramely flavor), extra almond milk to thin the mixture out a little.
- Place the cauliflower and plant milk in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes (or until cauliflower florets can be pierced easily with a fork).
- Use an immersion blender (or cool and transfer into a regular blender) to blend the cauliflower and plant milk into a smooth consistency.
- Add in all remaining base ingredients and mix everything to combine (I transferred a bit of the mixture into the bowl before adding in the cacao to have the black & white bowl). Adjust flavors to taste.
- Transfer into your bowl, top with add-ins and enjoy warm, or chill for a cold breakfast bowl (in which case add the add-ins when ready to eat).