A delicious no-bake vegan cheesecake made with flavorful toasted, candied pecans (gluten-free).
- 1 cup gf quick oats (or use cashews, pecans, or a mix for grain-free)
- ⅓ cup cashews (or more oats)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- CANDIED PECANS: Pre-heat oven to 350F. Place pecans and maple syrup in a parchment baking bag, close tightly and shake vigorously to mix the pecans and maple. Bake for 10-20 mins until the maple caramelizes over the pecans (ready when the maple becomes crisped on the pecans; if it’s still wet, keep baking until ready. Just keep an eye out so they don’t burn — nuts can go from zero to burn quite easily sometimes…). Alternatively, toss pecans in maple in a bowl to coat lightly, lay out on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate until crisp (6-8 hours). Cool the pecans off to room temp, then chop.
- CRUST: Process all crust ingredients in a food processor into a sticky fine crumble. Transfer the mixture into a 6″ pie plate (or a dish of a similar size) and press down into an even crust along the base and edges. Freeze while working on next step.
- FILLING: Blend all filling ingredients in a power blender into a smooth consistency. Fold in ⅔ of the chopped pecans (by hand), leaving the remaining third aside for decorating. Transfer the filling mixture into the prepared crust and level out the top. Sprinkle remaining chopped pecans around the edges. Freeze for 5-6 hours to set. Thaw out on the counter and enjoy! (Keep leftovers frozen).
* To pre-soak nuts: place in a glass bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 4 hours (or overnight in the fridge). Then strain and discard the water. For a quick pre-soak, cover with boiled water and soak for 15 mins, then strain and discard water. (Note: this technique doesn’t preserve the nutrition of the recipe as well as the traditional soaking technique above). Additional Note: the purpose of soaking the nuts is to re-hydrate them and plump them up for blending into a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency. Proper soaking techniques also maximize nutrition and digestibility. If you’re interested in learning more about nut soaking and other dessert prep tips and tricks, I delve into these subjects in detail in my book Unconventional Treats.