Well, things have been really lemony around here lately, haven’t they? I blame that on summer, some super delicious lemons I picked up, and all the recent discussions about lemon desserts on IG… But not complaining. I love citrus desserts in all kinds, shapes, and sizes. These little blackberry lemon cheesecakes came about when I felt like just having a simple treat to have on hand, as opposed to a whole cake production… Somehow they still managed to look rather stately though despite my original low key intentions..
I think there’s just something really beautiful about a purple yellow combination. I remember when I was a child my aunt gifted me some purple and yellow tulips. I’ve never seen a purple tulip before and I thought it was the most beautiful color combination I have ever seen. I remember wondering why I never though to combine those colors up until then. Evidently that memory still has a strong hold in my mind because anything yellow and purple always catches my attention… And evidently my color and pattern obsession had earlier beginnings than I recalled up until writing this now… Interesting!
But it’s not just the colors that make this combo works — blackberries and lemon have the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness and make a perfect creamy and refreshing dessert pairing. But of course this works a treat with other berries instead too — raspberries and blueberries are both absolutely delicious in this recipe.
As I mentioned up top, I wanted to make minis as opposed to a whole large cake, and my intention was just to have these quick bites on hand in the freezer. I therefore didn’t bother making a crust, though if you wanted to, that could be easily achieved by using any of my raw cheesecake crusts. Without the crust they have a bit more of a light feel to me — just soft and creamy, almost ice cream-like though definitively cheesecakey in flavor.
P.S. For tips and tricks on making raw cheesecakes like a pro, see my book Unconventional Treats.Print
Creamy, sweet and tart raw cheesecake bites are a lemon lover’s dream. Gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar free recipe.
- ½ cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and strained
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 7–8 blackberries
- optional: edible dried blue cornflower petals
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temp. Blend all cheesecake ingredients until completely smooth in a power blender. Divide the mixture between 7-8 silicone mini muffin molds (this is the mold I use, and I place it inside a regular mini muffin pan for stability. Can also use individual mini silicone muffin liners instead).
- Press a blackberry into the top of each cake. Sprinkle with cornflower petals if desired. Freeze for 5 hours or overnight, the pop out of the mold and enjoy. Keep leftovers frozen.