Cute fall acorn cookies dipped in chocolate: a soft, super delicious gluten-free cookie recipe made without refined sugar. Vegan and paleo-friendly.
- 2 tbsp non-dairy butter or coconut oil, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 10 tbsp almond flour
- 6 tbsp tapioca starch
- a chocolate bar of your choice or ¼ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Lightly whip the butter or coconut oil in a mixing bowl until creamy and fluffy. Add maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, and mix to combine into a uniform mixture. Add in all remaining cookie ingredients and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Then use your hands to knead the dough for a bit until it forms into a smooth and uniform ball (and stops being sticky). (Note: if for any reason it’s still too sticky even after you’ve been kneading for a while, simply add a tiny bot more flour and starch — about a tbsp at a time — and keep kneading a little longer).
- Flatten the dough ball into a disk, place on top of a piece of parchment paper. Cover with a second sheet of parchment and roll out the dough into a ¼” thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies, but don’t lift them off the sheet just yet (they are a little fragile at this point and can easily break, especially if small). Place the whole parchment sheet into the fridge (I pull it onto a tray first for easy handling) and allow the cookies to chill for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with some parchment paper. Once cookies are chilled transfer the cut-out cookies onto the baking tray. Bake for approximately 6 minutes (note: if using larger cookie cutters the baking time will be a few minutes longer). Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on a rack. (Note: they will seem a little soft to the touch, but will harden up once they cook).
- Melt the chocolate bar or chocolate chips using your preferred method (double boiler or microwave on 30 second bursts). Once the cookies are completely cooled, dip each cookie top into the melted chocolate (allowing any excess chocolate to drip off, especially off the back of the cookie). Place on a tray lined with parchment or a rack and refrigerate for 10-15 mins for the chocolate to set. Enjoy!