So remember the raw coconut snowballs? I think they've met their soul mate. Sort of. Maybe you can call these their long lost chocolate cousin :) . Anyhow, I’ve felt like trying out a new gluten-free vegan chocolate rum balls recipe, and I’m happy to report that these came out delicious! Perfectly chewy, fudgey, and flavorful, and free from gluten, dairy, refined sugars, soy, and many other allergens.
Note: If you want to keep this recipe raw, paleo, free from alcohol sugars, or just kid-friendly, omit the rum and just use rum essence. You can also skip this ingredient altogether and just use a bit more vanilla. They'll taste delicious either way!
Also, note the figs need to be softened for blending, so remove any hard stems and soak them in some water prior to blending. You can either soak them for a few hours (or overnight in the fridge), or for a quick soak, pour some boiling water over them and let them sit for 15 mins or so (though they won't be truly raw this way).
Last note: if using real rum, you should know that while rum is naturally gluten-free, flavored rums may contain some form of gluten, so if you use a flavored rum check up on whether that brand is gluten-free or not.
- 1 ½ cups almonds
- 1 cup dried figs (presoaked and strained)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (I used raw cacao powder)
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of your choice (I used maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp rum (OR 2 tsp rum essence)
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Optional: more cocoa powder for dusting (or can use icing sugar or shredded coconut)
- Place the almonds into a food processor and process until they are finely crumbled (just a bit less fine than almond flour).
- Add in all remaining ingredients and process until everything is combined and the mixture begins to form into a ball.
- Take small bits of the mixture and roll into balls using your hands.
- Optional: Roll in some extra cocoa powder for a dusted finish. I personally like them better without, but they do look nicer dusted — so up to you :)
- Enjoy right away or refrigerate for an hour or more for a firmer consistency (that’s how I like them best).